Does Physical Therapy Actually Work?
When you’re in pain, it’s hard to think about anything else. You might be wondering if physical therapy is the answer for you. You’re not alone – many people are unsure whether or not PT works. Physical therapy involves various treatments and exercises designed to alleviate pain, improve mobility, and prevent or heal injuries. But does it work?
Read on to understand the science behind physical therapy and how if Physical Therapy by Phoenix can help you achieve your wellness goals.
What Is Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy is a medical treatment that helps patients recover from injuries and improve their mobility. Physical therapists use various techniques to help their patients, including exercises, massages, and electrical stimulation.
Physical Therapy by Phoenix in Wichita can help with several different conditions, including:
- Back pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Multiple sclerosis
How Does Physical Therapy Work to Benefit Your Body?
- Reduce Inflammation and Swelling in the Affected Area – Medical conditions like bursitis, tendinitis, and arthritis often cause pain due to inflammation and swelling in the affected area. Physical therapy can help reduce this inflammation and swelling, which will help reduce the pain. Your physical therapist in Wichita may use things like ice, heat, or electrical stimulation to do this. They may also give you exercises to do that will help reduce the inflammation.
- Improve Range of Motion and Movement – Movement is how we use our range of motion. When we have a good range of motion, we can move freely and without pain. However, when the range of motion is limited, it can lead to pain and decreased mobility. Physical therapy by Phoenix can help improve both ranges of motion and movement. By stretching and strengthening the muscles and joints, physical therapists can help increase a person’s range of motion. It, in turn, can help improve movement.
- Increase Muscle Strength and Tone – Patients with arthritis often have weak muscles surrounding the affected joint. It can be due to inactivity or disuse, as well as the condition itself. Chronic pain therapy can help these patients by increasing muscle strength and tone through various exercises. Some of these exercises may include using resistance bands or weights and body-weight exercises such as squats, lunges, and calf raises.
- Help with Balance and Coordination – Wichita’s Physical Therapy by Phoenix can also help improve balance and coordination, which can be impaired in patients with arthritis. It is important because falls are a leading cause of injury in older adults. Balance exercises may include standing on one leg or walking heel to toe. Coordination exercises may involve throwing and catching a ball or hula hoop.
- Improve Posture and Alignment – Posture is the position in which you hold your body while standing, sitting, or lying down. Poor posture can lead to several health problems, including back pain, neck pain, and headaches. Physical therapists can help improve your posture and alignment by teaching you exercises that strengthen the muscles that support your spine.
If you suffer from pain in your joints or muscles and live in or around Wichita, you may be wondering if Physical Therapy by Phoenix can help. Yes! Our expert therapists will work with you to find the source of your pain and help you find relief.