The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) defines chronic pain as lasting more than three to six months. Chronic pain may arise from the initial injury, such as a back sprain, or there may be an underlying cause, such as cancer. Chronic pain interferes with daily activities and may cause physical and psychological problems.
How Does Physical Therapy Help in Treating Chronic Pain?
There are types of chronic pain:
- Nociceptive pain is caused by damaged tissue and results in inflammation.
- Neuropathic pain is caused by damage to the nervous system and can be constant or intermittent. It is described as a burning or tingling sensation.
Physical therapy can be used to treat both types of chronic pain.
- For nociceptive pain, physical therapy modalities such as heat, cold, and electrical stimulation can be used to reduce inflammation and pain. Exercise is also an essential part of treatment as it helps to stretch and strengthen the muscles and joints.
- For neuropathic pain, physical therapy modalities such as electrical stimulation, massage, and exercise can help to reduce pain.
If you are bothered by chronic pain, we can help. Our physical therapists are experts in movement and exercise and can create a treatment plan specific to your needs.
Benefits of Choosing Physical Therapy for Chronic Pain
- Physical therapy can help to treat chronic pain by reducing inflammation, improving the range of motion, and strengthening the muscles.
- Physical therapy can also help to decrease the amount of pain medication that a person takes.
- Physical therapy can help to improve a person’s quality of life by helping them to return to their normal activities.
- Physical therapy is safe and effective.
- It is non-invasive, simple, and yet result-oriented.
Wichita’s Physical Therapy by Phoenix’s ultimate goal is to help the individual manage their chronic pain to live a whole, active life.
Using Physical Therapy to Overcome Chronic Pain
At Physical Therapy by Phoenix Rehab in Wichita, we follow a multidisciplinary approach to help our patients with chronic pain. Our physical therapists are movement experts and can help regain control of your body and your life. We will work with you to make a treatment plan tailored to your individual needs.
Through our chronic pain therapy in Wichita, we help to
- Reduce the number of pain flare-ups.
- Increase your strength and flexibility.
- Rectify issues like scar tissue, joint stiffness, and muscle imbalances that can contribute to chronic pain.
- Improve your posture and body mechanics.
Finally, our therapists will educate you about your condition and how to prevent future pain.
Use of Passive and Active Therapies to Treat Chronic Pain
At Physical Therapy by Phoenix, we use passive and active therapies to treat chronic pain.
- Passive therapies are those where the therapist does all the work, and the patient does not have to participate actively. These treatments help to relax the body. Some examples are electrical stimulation, heat or cold therapy, and manual therapy in Wichita.
- Active therapies are those where the patient does some of the work, such as exercises and stretching. These therapeutic exercises increase a person’s strength, flexibility, and range of motion.
The combination of passive and active therapies is often the most effective treatment of chronic pain. If you wish to learn more about how physical therapy in Wichita can help you overcome chronic pain, do not hesitate to contact Physical Therapy by Phoenix today.