Many people of all ages are injured in motor vehicle accidents every year. The pain may be immediate or may take days or weeks to develop. In any case, the pain can worsen with time when ignored for a long.
A Typical Injury after a Motor Vehicle Accident
#1 is Whiplash, which can cause neck pain and stiffness, headaches, dizziness, fatigue, and numbness in the arms. The symptoms may take weeks to develop and, when ignored, can lead to chronic pain:
- Whiplash: Whiplash is an injury to the neck that happens when the head is suddenly and forcefully moved back and forth. The ligaments and the neck muscles are stretched beyond their normal range of motion, causing pain and stiffness. A few factors that may add to the severity of whiplash include,
- Force and angle of the impact.
- Position of the head and neck.
- Pre-existing neck conditions.
- The type of vehicle.
- Age of the affected person.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Soft tissue injuries are often seen in motor vehicle accidents. These injuries include bruises, cuts, and scrapes. Soft tissue injuries can lead to torn ligaments and muscles in more severe cases.
- Trauma Injuries: Trauma injuries include broken bones, internal bleeding, and damage to organs. Airbags and seatbelts may also cause cuts and bruises. In more severe cases, trauma injuries can lead to paralysis or death.
- Concussion: Concussion refers to brain injury that may occur when the head is suddenly violently shaken. Concussions cause various symptoms, including headache, dizziness, nausea, fatigue, and confusion. In some cases, concussions may also lead to memory loss and difficulty concentrating.
Why Should You Meet a Physical Therapist After a Motor Vehicle Accident?
Corrective treatment after an accident is crucial to prevent long-term pain and other risks. While rest and pain-killer medications may offer short-term relief, they do not address the cause of the pain. Physical therapists are trained to determine and treat the underlying cause of the discomfort.
Physical Therapy by Phoenix in Wichita will conduct a thorough evaluation to determine the extent of your injuries and then develop a personalized plan to address specific needs.
How Does Physical Therapy Help in Recovery from a Motor Vehicle Accident?
The goal of motor vehicle accident therapy in Wichita is to help you return to your normal activities as soon as possible. Depending on your injuries’ pain level and extent, it may take weeks or months. Physical therapists use multiple techniques to treat pain and promote healing, including:
- Manual Therapy: Manual therapy in Wichita involves using hands to massage the soft tissues and loosen the muscles.
- Stretching & Strengthen Exercises: Stretching exercises reduce stiffness and help the muscles to heal. Strengthening exercises build up the muscles and help to prevent further injury. They also improve movement control and stability for all normal activities.
- Postural Training: Helps to relieve pain, improve posture and prevent further injury.
- Heat & Cold Therapy: Heat therapy relaxes the muscles and helps to reduce pain. Cold therapy numbs the affected area and reduces inflammation. Other modalities, such as ultrasound and electrical stimulation, may also be used.
Physical Therapy by Phoenix physical therapists will guide you in ways to prevent further damage, recommend specific exercises or activities to avoid, and teach you how to lift and carry objects properly.
Talk to a Physical Therapy by Phoenix Specialist Today
Avoid expensive surgeries and invasive procedures by opting for physical therapy. Physical therapy provides quicker and long-lasting results without the side effects associated with medications.
At Wichita’s Physical Therapy by Phoenix, our team of specialists has extensive experience treating patients who have been in motor vehicle accidents. Physical Therapy by Phoenix therapists will develop a customized treatment plan and work with you to help you heal and get back to your life as soon as possible. Schedule your free consultation today.