Pelvic Floor & Women’s Health
Most women believe pelvic floor health issues are typical of aging. However, did you know that women’s health physical therapy can make a lasting impact on many pelvic and musculoskeletal dysfunctions? Our experts can help!
What is Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy?
The pelvic floor muscles form a bowl-shaped muscle group (called the levator ani) that attaches to the pelvis at the base. These muscles support the urinary bladder, uterus, and rectum. They help to control urination, defecation, and sexual function.
Pelvic floor muscles can weaken or spasm from childbirth, surgery, menopause, or being obese. Weak muscles cause painful symptoms and interfere with daily activities and quality of life.
Pelvic floor physical therapy (PT) is a specialized form of PT that focuses on the muscles, tissues, and ligaments of the pelvic region.
What Conditions Does Pelvic Floor PT Treat?
Wichita’s Physical Therapy by Phoenix experts uses physical therapy to treat a wide range of women’s health issues, including:
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Dyspareunia (pain with intercourse)
- Vulvodynia (chronic vulvar pain)
- Urinary incontinence
- Pre- and post-partum rehabilitation
- Sexual dysfunction
- Urinary incontinence
- Prolapse (when organs fall out of place)
- Bowel disorders
If you are experiencing any of the above issues, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We can help!
At Physical Therapy by Phoenix in Wichita, Our Experts Offer Personalized Treatment Plans
During your first visit to our Wichita facility, the first step is a comprehensive evaluation. The evaluation may include a pelvic exam (if you are comfortable), questions about your symptoms and medical history, a discussion of your goals, and a physical examination.
After the initial evaluation, our experts will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan. Therapy for pelvic floor & women’s health in Wichita may include:
- Individualized Pelvic Floor Exercises – We will teach you specific exercises to improve your pelvic floor muscles’ muscle strength and coordination.
- Manual therapy: We may use our hands to release tight muscles and help increase the range of motion.
- Pelvic Floor Biofeedback: It is a technique that uses sensors to measure muscle activity and give you feedback about your pelvic floor muscle function. The feedback can help you learn to control your pelvic floor muscles.
- Electric Stimulation: We may use electrical stimulation to help reduce pain and increase muscle activity.
- Education: We will inform you on how to care for your pelvic floor correctly, as well as general information on diet and exercise.
Additionally, our therapists may suggest some lifestyle modifications (like avoiding certain foods or restricting certain activities)
What Are the Benefits of Choosing Physical Therapy for Your Pelvic Health?
Compared to other treatment options, physical therapy has proved to be more effective in treating pelvic floor disorders. There are many benefits to choosing physical therapy for your pelvic health, including:
- Permanent relief from pain and other symptoms.
- Improved quality of life.
- A satiating sex life.
- Increased muscle strength and coordination
- Better control over your bladder and bowels.
- Increased confidence and self-esteem.
Please Schedule a Consultation with Our Experts Today!
If you need therapy for pelvic floor or women’s health in Wichita, do not hesitate to reach out to our experts at Physical Therapy by Phoenix. We offer a wide range of services to meet your individual needs and help you achieve your goals. Physical Therapy by Phoenix ensures that all of our patients receive the highest quality of care possible. Contact us today to schedule a consultation!